Self - introduction



Subject: Self-introduction

To Professor Brad,

My name is Ong Jun Kai, and I am writing to introduce myself to you as a student in your effective communication- T4 class.

I graduated in 2016 from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Mechatronic System Engineering. During my final year project in Ngee Ann Polytechnic, my team and I were tasked to develop an autonomous under water vehicle (UAV). The main purpose was to come up with an idea and create an autonomous vehicle that is able to deal with obstacles throughout a stipulated course. When we were done, our prototype was pitched against other vehicles that were done by other groups from various countries. Throughout this process, I learnt a lot and slowly gained an interest in building my foundation in the field of mechanical and electrical knowledge. Therefore, I decided to further my studies in the MEC programme offered by SIT/UofG. 

In terms of weakness, I find myself having difficulty delivering my message and expressing my ideas to the audience during presentation, which is due to the lack of confidence and practice. Having trouble with grammar during writing is also an issue that I have been facing throughout my education.

In terms of strengths, I am not shy when approaching strangers to strike up a conversation as having worked in the sales industry for a few months after passing out from National Service. I was able to build up resilience which able me to bounce back and deal with disappointment when facing rejections.

At the end of this programme, I wish to improve my communication skills (e.g listening, speaking, observing) and be able to have the ability in giving and receiving different kinds of information accurately.

Best regards,
Ong Jun Kai

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jun Kai, I am Norman Tan from your blogging group.

    1) I felt that your letter would be better if you add in your interests or hobbies to allow us to know more about you.

    2) After studying mechanical engineering in polytechnic, why did u choose to further your studies in MEC programme instead of electrical engineering after-all you learn many stuff on electrical engineering?

    I enjoyed reading your introduction letter. I hope my observations will help you in some way and i look forward to learning in class together. Thank you.

    Best regards,
    Norman Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman,

      Thanks for commenting my introduction.

      1)Yes i do lack on talking more on my hobbies and i will definitely add on on more on that.

      2) During my final year project we have different roles and mine was mechanical side so i have more interest and more into mechanical parts than electrical. Furthermore i think that Mechanical Engineering has both hands on and electrical and is more boarder than studying in electrical.

      Best regards,
      Ong Jun Kai

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Junkai,

    First, let me express my apologies for the late response.

    This is an interesting letter, especially as you explain the underwater vehicle you developed during your poly days. That's the sort of device you may want to further work on while you're at SIT. Of course, it needs to have a function to serve some group of stakeholders. As I read about this though, I wondered what you meant when you stated that the device "is capable of operating without the use of any controllers...." Even with this question, I feel it might be good for you to pitch this idea to your project team.

    In this letter, you also do a fine job describing your comm skills and your module goals.

    There is one sentence in the reflecxtion that is problematic:

    -- I do have an interest in sports and gymming because it helps me to destress on my work and enabling me to focus on my studies. > (wrong pronoun referent and lack of parallel structure) ?

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof,
      Thanks for spending the time reading my introduction. After reading through my sentences again that you mention, i find some part was weird so i made some changes to it

      1) for the part where i said "capable of operating without the use of any controllers"
      i changed it to an autonomous vehicle because it makes the reader understand easier and more straight forward.

      2) The part where i put my hobbies was a last min add on because i heard from my group team i lack of hobbies therefore i put it in. For that part i have removed it.

      Best regards,
      Ong Jun Kai

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts